Get up, go out, watch a movie, fall in love...

Monday, January 27, 2014

Overview before the Oscars (part III) Let's talk about HER



All right, I've been posting videos, parodies, several versions of the trailer and so on. There's nothing to hide: HER rocked my mind! 

About 2 or 3 months ago I got an email from the people of Warner Brothers, inviting me to a private screening of the movie here in the city. I wasn't really sure how come they were inviting me, and how come so early in advance from the release. The point is, the whole idea sounded so good I decided to go and hope that this movie didn't disappoint me.  

For those who don't know me, I'm the kind of technology freak that keeps telling people I want to become a Cyborg, desperately looking for the day my phone finally gets attached to my skin and becomes part of my brain. Because of this obsession I always end up disappointed with poorly executed, miserably documented films that attempt to portray our not so far fusion with technology. 

As I sat at the screening room, I was introduced to one of the producers of the film, who kindly asked me to be very critical about the film, because this was still a work in progress that could be changed according to our comments. So I decided to pay a lot of attention, and if by any chance I hated the movie, just run away right before this guy asked my opinion. I didn't want to be that woman who gets invited for the first time to their private screenings and trashes the dreams of the team. (I want to keep attending this events!) 

As the movie started, I was feeling pretty captured by the stages, the colors, the extremely well executed sets and very accurate vision of the close future. As usual, Joaquin Phoenix was impeccable but nothing out of this world.  

So far, I wasn't sure if I was loving it or just very visually impressed, but once Samantha (Scarlett Johansson's voice as an Artificial Intelligence software) makes her appearance into Theodor's (Phoenix) life I could feel this was turning into something excellent. 

The dialogues and the situations are so well thought, that you have no doubt this is a completely feasible situation. I could absolutely relate to the idea of having an AI that could be my friend. Not sure I'd fall for him/her but really don't blame Theodore for actually having. (I bet you most of the guys in the audience were thinking: "with that sensual voice and hot conversations I'd fall in love too. At least a little crush!) 

I'm no tech expert, but I've lived in the heart of the Silicon Valley for 3 years now, been to Singularity University hearing tech experts several times and feel somehow involved with Artificial Intelligence evolution, and I must admit this guys who wrote the script did an excellent job doing their research and finding a way to make a film as credible and entertaining on this subject as HER. (Beyond my expectations). 

No tech enthusiast can miss this movie, nor film lovers. This might not be the best movie of the year, but sure is one of the top 10 of the year and one of the best AI movies ever made. 






No comments:

Post a Comment