Get up, go out, watch a movie, fall in love...

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A little overview before the Oscars (Part I)

How is it possible that I go through the list of nominees for this year's Best Motion Picture Academy Award and I really can't decide which is my favorite? Even worse, I go through the list and I feel that they should have made an exemption and let 5 more be part of the list. That's how great 2013 was for the history of filmmaking. 

Although I must say that if 12 years a slave gets the award I will considerably loose my respect for the members of the academy. (not that it wasn't good, but give me a break with giving the oscars to a movie that more than being great, addressed a politically sensitive issue in American History.These are not the Academy of the American Hero awards). 

If I'm not mistaken, I remember stating that I would not invest my time talking shit about movies, so let's put it this way, the actors of 12 years a slave did a great job, but if you'd pay me to watch that movie again, you better offer me a good amount of money. 

One of the requirements my top choice motion picture must pass is the ability to be so damn good that I can watch it over and over again and always find something great about it. That doesn't mean it has to be a happy movie. Gravity was a hell of a stress, but I've already watched it three times in the theaters and can't wait to watch it a fourth anytime soon. The fact that I felt like I was actually space traveling, the scenes, the not too extensive, but thoroughly well chosen dialogues, the simple but perfectly structured plot, the absolutely impeccable performance by Sandra Bullock and the surreal conversations that somehow drive you into inner reflexions about life, the meaning of it and our real mission in this vast universe are awesome!! For these I'd strongly support this film as one of the best movies of the year. 

On a less stressful style, but absolutely wonderful executed plot I'd have to say American Hustle nailed it. It takes you through a crazy, funny, dramatic, and intriguing story that breaks all types of patterns we have had in the last years of filmmaking. The characters are so good, that you spend most of the movie debating who's your boy and who's your girl. Every single one of them has such a weird charm and charisma that you can't pick who's better. Hands down, this movie has the best overall cast. 

The dialogues and sequences are so unexpected that more than once I found myself wondering if I was too distracted, too high or the movie wasn't making any sense, but somehow it doesn't keep you from being absolutely engaged. Until finally, at the end of the movie, everything makes perfect sense and you have to give credit to the director for coming up with such an original idea. I personally need to watch this movie again. I feel maybe 50% of the dialogues were so complex or my intellect so limited that I missed some important parts of it that are worth re-watching. But one thing I tell you: It was genius! 

Because most of us don't have too much time to read, or just because most of us now suffer from a severe  I-need-to-check-my-phone-or-change-activities-every-4-minutes-disorder, I'll stop here. Most of you are probably having a panic attack by now or have already checked Facebook twice, so I better keep this post short in order for you to stay mentally healthy and actually look forward to reading my posts. 

Tomorrow I'll talk about the other films (equally great) but for now, please go multitask and enjoy the freedom of having time to play with your gadgets and interact with you online community. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment