Get up, go out, watch a movie, fall in love...

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Noah. Not another religious film.

I’m usually not a big fan of action blockbusters, much less religious films. In fact, if you know me, you would say I’m the antithesis of that.

Nevertheless, I had to watch Noah. I decided not to read any review or comment on the movie to avoid having a biased opinion and give this movie a fair chance, so what you will read bellow is 100% my perception.

Noah is a film that was inspired by the biblical story, although this is definitely much more than the biblical boring and naïve story we are all told as a kid. Surprisingly, XXXX, director and scriptwriter, manages to wisely turn this story into a very scientific and philosophical odyssey. (Yes, scientific!)


By far, the best scene of this film is a brilliant sequence in which Noah is telling their family the story of the evolution of our Universe (going through Big Bang, clusters of galaxies and beyond). As it ends with the original sin in the Garden of Eden, we are explained that our sin is non other than the absurd and barbaric history of destruction, wars and hate perpetrated over and over throughout civilizations.  This is the real reason our world must cleanse. This is the meaning of the world flood.

Just like this part, I must admit this a film with very rich philosophical content. There certainly are some weird elements in the film that didn’t quite convince me, like rock giants that helped Noah build the arch (WTF??) or one of Noah’s son being the bad guy’s best friend.

Overall, I’d say this is a good movie. Not a great movie, but definitely worth watching for its beautiful visuals, philosophical content, and unexpected scientific approach.






No comments:

Post a Comment